IHPA Membership - Reasons Why!!
IHPA MISSION (in part):
This Association was formed and exists to bring together companies and individuals involved directly or indirectly with the designing, manufacturing, distributing, selling, and installation of legitimate types of hurricane and wind storm protection in a non-competitive atmosphere and to exchange ideas with the goal of improving the industry.
- Monitor all FBC – POC Meetings
- Declaratory statement to address Rule 9B-72. Kept Associations/Distributors from losing product approvals and bringing Dealer’s business to a halt.
- Active participation & involvement with the Disaster Survival House/Hurricane Warning.
- Helped eliminate requirement for signed & sealed drawings for Approved products
- No requirement for Master files at every jurisdiction = formation of the FBC – BCIS.
- Representation on the FBC structural TAC and Hurricane Research Advisory Committee.
- Representing HP Industry views to the building and insurance industries
- Exempting Hurricane protection from egress requiring via emergency escape option.
- Exempting balconies from having to be retrofitted with sprinklers when being enclosed.
- Aided in eliminating internal pressurization design option.
- Assisted in modifying Panhandle exemption
More Recent Accomplishments
- Mandatory permits and inspections, i.e. level playing field)
- Shutter labeling & identification input @ FBC workgroups which prevented extensive labeling requirements.
- Public Awareness Campaign about Unapproved Products
- Hired Lobbyist with very little notice to keep legislation intact that mandated protection for homes over $750k insured valued with Citizens
- Re-worked the IHPA By-Laws to insure our integrity and viability
- Properly dealt with Legislation pertaining to “Code Plus”
- Played an active role in a Dec Statement that affected deflection criteria and the direction of ASTM standards
Active Partnerships and Alliances
- Federal Alliance For Safe Homes
- Institute for Business & Home Safety
- Disaster Survival House / Hurricane Warning
- World of Hurricane Protection - Trade Show
Memberships or Workgroup Participants with:
- Miami-Dade Building Code Compliance Office
- FBC / DCA Staff & Commissioners
- American Society for Testing and Materials EO6
- International Code Council
- Louisiana Code Council - Working to get involved with other States
Upcoming and current initiatives
- New standards? Changes through ASTM E 1996-06 that could severely reduce markets for many large shutter manufacturers
- ICC Coded areas – WBD regions and Building Dept/Jurisdiction uniform protocol.
- Quality Assurance Programs.
- Citizens and other Insurance related legislation
- Increased Awareness Campaign for “Unapproved Products”
- And much more to come....
As you can see, the multitudes of reasons are compelling, and make Membership an easy decision. Also, we need your support! The IHPA has power and strength when we have a large and active membership. Your contributions through membership fees and committee support make all of our efforts possible. Now, more than ever, we need your participation. Don’t count on the next guy to protect your interests. You owe it to yourself to be a proud IHPA Member!